Acidity or Acid Peptic Disease (APD) can be described as a condition wherein there is an excess production of acids by the gastric glands of stomach into the lower esophagus. The major symptoms of acidity are heartburn and gas formation. This may also lead to blazing pain in the stomach. As acidity is generally faced at some point or the other, let us find out some effective herbal remedies for its cure.
Herbal Remedies for Acidity
Here are some time-tested herbal alternatives for acidity that are not only effective they don’t have any side effects as well.
- Prepare a mixture of powdered Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) stems (two tablespoon), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra) roots (four tablespoon), Ginger (Zingiber officinale) roots (half tablespoon), Harad (Terminalia chebula) fruits (one tablespoon), Indian gooseberry (Emblica officinalis) fruits (one tablespoon), Chirchira (Achyranthes aspera) leaves (half tablespoon) and Nagarmotha (Cyperus rotundus) roots (one tablespoon). Administer one teaspoonful powder to the patient, twice a day after meals with water.
- Mix equal proportions of Harad (Terminalia chebula) with Indian gooseberry (Emblica officinalis) powder and store in a dry, air-tight jar. Take two tablespoons of the mixture everyday to get relief from acidity.
- Dry roast one teaspoon of Cumin (Cuminum cyminum) seeds and Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi) each. Add one cup water and boil the seeds till water reduces to half. Strain and drink for relief from acidity and indigestion. (Add sugar to taste).
- Have a mixture of Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi) and salt whenever acidity occurs.
- Boil a teaspoon of Cumin (Cuminum cyminum) seeds in one liter water. Simmer for ten minutes and drink while warm. Take this drink twice a day for a week.
- Mix equal proportions of powdered Clove (Syzygium aromaticum) and Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum) and have a teaspoon of it after every meal. This would not only relieve acidity but control bad breath.
- Drink Pomegranate (Punica granatum) and Beetroot (Beta vulgaris) juice (thirty ml each) with a tablespoon of honey. Take this empty stomach for a month.
- Boil a teaspoon of Aniseed (Pimpinella anisum) in a cup of water. Leave it overnight. Next morning, strain the water and add a teaspoon of honey to it. Drink it after meals to ease acidity.
Exercise and Diet
Regular brisk walk is good for those who are prone to acidity. Some yogic exercises like Pranayam (breathing exercise), Surya namaskara (sun salutation), Vajrasana (thunderbolt pose), Pachimottanasana (back spine stretching pose) and Makrasana (crocodile pose) provide therapeutic relief by improving the digestive system.
Regular eating habits and a healthy diet can keep acidity at bay. Include banana, watermelon, jaggery, lemon, almonds and yogurt in your daily diet. Eating vegetables like cabbage, cucumber, spring onions, carrot, beans, pumpkin and drumsticks are all known to give relief from acidity. Those suffering from acidity should try to avoid aerated drinks, spicy and fried food, vinegar, chutneys, pickles, chocolates, etc. Do not skip meals. Also, avoid long intervals between meals. It is another cause for acidity. Cut down on excessive smoking and alcohol consumption. Excessive intake of caffeine also leads to acidity. Learn to combat anxiety and stress for healthy and happy living.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is for educational purposes only and should not be used for diagnosis or to guide treatment without the opinion of a health professional. Any reader who is concerned about his or her health should contact a doctor for advice.
- Deepak Acharya. and Anshu Shrivastava. Indigenous Herbal Medicines: Tribal Formulations and Traditional Herbal Practices. Jaipur: Aavishkar Publishers Distributors. ISBN 978-81-7910-252-7.
- Deepak Acharya, Garima Sancheti, Anshu Shrivastava and Sanjay Pawar. Traditional medicines of Gonds and Bharias – 20 – Medicine for Hyper Acidity. Disabled-world.com.